Start messaging with XMTP
XMTP is an open protocol and network for secure web3 messaging.
Developers build with XMTP client SDKs to provide messaging in their apps. The XMTP messaging API client takes care of:
- Authentication using an XMTP identity that you own and control
- End-to-end encryption of messages that you own and control
- Providing an interoperable inbox accessible across apps built with XMTP
- Relaying messages to the progressively decentralized XMTP network
A great way to start learning how to build an app with XMTP is to use one!
To start messaging with XMTP:
Pick an identity you want to use to message with XMTP.
You can use an Ethereum address to start.
If you have an ENS name or Lens handle associated with the address, you can tell people to use it to message you instead of using your full Ethereum address.
Don’t have an Ethereum address? Create a MetaMask wallet to get one.
Pick an app.
- Converse (iOS): Works with Ethereum addresses, ENS names, and Lens handles
- XMTP Inbox (web): Works with Ethereum addresses and ENS names
- Buttrfly (iOS): Works with Lens handles
- Lenster (web): Works with Lens handles
- Orb (ios and Android): Works with Lens handles
Send a message.
To send a message to an address, it must have an XMTP identity already created on the network. Share this page with someone you want to message to help them get on the network if they aren't already there.
In the meantime, need someone to message with? Send a message to these addresses. Try using an ENS name to message one person (or bot) and an 0x Ethereum address to message another.
Get an immediate response from the XMTP message bot
Product manager at XMTP Labs
Business development at XMTP Labs
Want to see the interoperable inbox in action?
Try a second app and see all your conversations in both apps, regardless of the app you used to start them. This also means you and a friend can each use your own preferred app to exchange messages.
With XMTP, you own and control your messages and are always free to use the app that best suits your needs.
Your friend using the Converse app to message you on the Orb app You using the Orb app to message your friend on the Converse app
Ready to start building with XMTP? Check out some of these developer resources:
- SDKs and tools
- Built with XMTP: Explore a showcase of apps built with XMTP
- Awesome XMTP: A list of projects building with XMTP
- FAQ about XMTP