XMTP Grants: Inspiring public goods
Support projects, ideas, and people building on XMTP to foster ecosystem growth through public good creation.
📜 Request for proposals
We are open to any and all ideas! Below are just a few categories of projects we are particularly excited about.
🎨 Custom content types
- Media: Attachements, Voicenotes, Images
- Threading: Emoji reactions, Reply threads
- Transactions and payments
💾 Novel applications
- Rabbithole Quest
- Gitcoin messaging
- Pay to message
🎒 Portable consent backpack
🧠 Protocol development
- Multi-chain support (e.g. Solana, Bitcoin, Tezos, etc)
- Account abstraction
👨🏼💻 Developer tools
- Plug and play notification server
- Web3 resolver library
👀 Unique features
- Read receipts - opt-in, performant, interoperable
- Personalizable conversation sorting and filtering
All projects must propose a standard, tool, or concept that’s adopted by the ecosystem. This involves collaborating with the community to create a public good. You can leverage XIPs to discuss proposals.
🔍 Grant types
We offer two types of grants: Micro grants and Kickstarter grants.
Micro grants (<$5k):
- Smaller project scope, faster review process
- Opt-in, interoperable, performant read receipts
- Rabbithole quest
Kickstarter grants (<$10K):
- Bigger project scope, fast review process
- Cross-chain support or account abstraction
- Portable and interoperable consent backpack
📣 If you are unsure, message us via XMTP at
grants.xmtp.eth and we'll be happy to help you figure out the grant type that's right for you.
🎯 Evaluation criteria
We love and encourage diversity of ideas in grant applications. This section lists the baseline expectations we have for all applications.
- Qualifies: a project that will introduce a novel feature (e.g. emoji reactions, read receipts, account abstraction, etc) and propose an XIP for a standard way to do it across different applications.
- Does not qualify: a project to integrate with XMTP to create a cool messaging app that doesn't create community resources (e.g. XIPs, dev tools, etc).
Building with XMTP is permissionless and grants are not a pre-requisite to integrate with XMTP. While we love and encourage a variety of integrations, grants are reserved for integrations that create public goods.
XMTP Grants are not for:
- Integrating with XMTP: Merely integrating with XMTP does not qualify for a grant. Grant projects must create public goods for the ecosystem. Check out the Request for Proposal section for ideas.
- Marketing budgets: Grant money should not be used towards promoting or advertising projects.
- Travel budgets: Grants are not meant to fund plane tickets, accommodation costs, and other travel expenses.
- Replacements for venture funding: Grants are not substitutions for a round of funding. They are aimed at enabling discrete projects that create a public good for the ecosystem.
- Free money: Please don’t abuse this system. Our program’s mission is to support people who believe in the potential of web3 messaging and want to contribute to building in the space.
- Stress relief: Our grants are not intended to extend your runway or alleviate financial stress. You should aim to build long-term in our ecosystem.
Consider the following criteria if you’re uncertain whether your project qualifies for an XMTP grant:
- Building in public: Not all projects require code, but they should be built in the spirit of open-sourcing your learnings (and code if appropriate) for everyone to learn from.
- Action > Perfection: Show us how you or your team have the skills and potential to bring the proposal to life.
- Definitive use case: Articulate your idea clearly on how your project uses XMTP and adds value to the ecosystem. Please do not try to overthink or overcomplicate it.
- Public Good creation: Show clear connection between your proposal and the value it generates for the broader ecosystem.
- Collaborate: Be collaborative and open to offering support to other members of our community. Let’s grow together!
Q: Any deadlines to keep in mind?
Nope! We’re always on the lookout for cool ideas - so applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Q: Will I hear back if my application is rejected?
Yes, you will hear back either from us irrespective or whether your application is successful or not.
Q: I have not heard back on my application yet, can I get an update?
Please check your XMTP inbox for the ENS (or EVM address) you shared with us in your application.
Q: When will I receive a decision for my application?
We will get back to you within 3-4 weeks of your submission.
Q: How much money is the grant?
Grants are up to $10K.
Q: What is the deadline to deliver?
Milestone dates are agreed upon by the project team and XMTP. They can be amended within reason.
Q: How do I follow up once a milestone has been reached?
You can fill in the form available at Claim Payments to notify us of your progress and unlock the next portion of your grant!
✨ Resources and inspiration
- iOS: https://github.com/xmtp/xmtp-ios
- Flutter: https://github.com/xmtp/xmtp-flutter
- Kotlin: Coming soon!
- React web app: https://github.com/xmtp/xmtp-quickstart-react
- React Native app: https://github.com/xmtp/example-chat-react-native
- Awesome-xmtp projects: https://github.com/xmtp/awesome-xmtp
- Built with XMTP
💬 Contact us
🧑💻 Ask questions and file bugs on GitHub
🕊️ Holler at us on Twitter
👾 Join the community at Discord
📬 DM us via XMTP at
grants.xmtp.eth for anything else