Roadmap for XMTP
Timelines are estimates and subject to change. For information about delivered features and fixes, see the Changelog.
- Group chat - experimental/Pre-Preview
- Media attachments, reactions, and replies
- React Native SDK - Developer Preview
- Android SDK - GA
- React SDK - GA
- Secret conversations: A new conversation type with additional Signal-level security properties such as forward secrecy and expiring message history
- Read receipts
- Portable preferences, such as blocklists, allowlists, etc.
🎉 Anyone can now try running the experimental
xmtpd node software and be a part of the journey to decentralizing XMTP! In the future,
xmtpd might replace the node software currently running the XMTP network.
Near term (~3 months)
- Open source nodes
- Third-party nodes in testnet
- Smart contract inbox
Long term (~6 months)
- Third-party operators can run xmtpd nodes that participate in the XMTP network
- Incentivization in limited testnet: node rewards and economic spam control
To learn more, see XMTP: The journey to decentralization.